Pages 18-31Survey of London: Volume 26, Lambeth: Southern Area.Originally published by London County Council, London, 1956. This map is based on Hodskinson and Middleton's survey of the Manor in 1785; the broken lines show the modern street plan.At that date, the section of the Lane between South Lambeth and Kennington Roads was known as the Kingston Road and the section leading into Newington Butts as the “Sohowe” later these were known as Upper and Lower Kennington Lane respectively.The names “Upper” and “Lower” were abolished and the houses renumbered in 1936. 8) Between 1636 and the publication of Rocque’s map in 1745, (fn.
Much of the early history of the Manor has been traced in Volume XXIII of the , and it is only necessary here to consider in detail the development of the roughly triangular section of the Manor, bounded by Kennington Lane, the line of Vauxhall Creek (also known as the River Effra), Kennington Common and Kennington Park Road, which is shown on the key map in fig. Material for the history of the Manor is extensive. 2) in 1636 by Sir Charles Harbord dealing only with the demesnes, (fn. XXIII, Plates 1 and 2) are the most useful and are constantly referred to in the following text. A single house stood on copyhold land in the south-western section near the site of the present Windmill public house.The enrolments in the Manor court and the correspondence between the officers of the Duchy of Cornwall and tenants of the Manor preserved at the Duchy Office in Buckingham Gate are invaluable for the detailed history of development, and many of these sources of information have been gathered together in E. In the north-eastern section a house called the Buckshorns stood in Kennington Park Road, and there were a few buildings scattered along Kennington Lane.11) brought an increasing volume of traffic through the Manor, and gave easy access to the cities of London and Westminster.The building of Blackfriars Bridge and its approach roads between 17 (fn.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. The names of the owners or lessees in 1785 are given below, against the numbers of the plots ringed in the map. 7) The part of the Manor covered by this volume falls naturally into two sections, south-western and north-eastern, divided by Kennington Road.
The whole of the part of Kennington which falls within the scope of the present volume is a section of the Duke of Cornwall’s Manor of Kennington. Other surveys were made in 1615 by John Norden, (fn. 5) by order of Parliament, and by John Hodskinson and John Middleton in 1785–6. 6) Of these surveys, Norden’s, Harbord’s, and Hodskinson and Middleton’s (the last two accompanied by maps which are reproduced in , Vol. In 1636 there were few buildings on either section.