The base of this commune had been established from centuries of Russian families living in the land, as well as cultural workers and scientists escaping the USSR in the early half of the 20th century. The members of community held the cemetery in high standing, for example, the former writer and commandant of Daugavgrīva stronghold Jurijs Gončarenko-Galičs secured himself a spot in the cemetery before shooting himself knowing that after Soviet occupation he would be harshly prosecuted. Two Red Army burial sites are located in the cemetery — a smaller one from summer 1941 and the bigger one for years 1944–1946; as well as Russian Empire army's bed of honour dating 1917. The cemetery also houses Ascension of Christ Church; the only Latvian Orthodox church in Riga where sermons are held in Latvian. ) is a 70,669 square metres (760,670 sq ft) wide cemetery in Riga built in 1773. The current owner of the cemetery is Shelter of Our Most Holy Lady Church who are renting the land. Kļimenko, Order of the Three Stars cavalier and professor G. Jengaličevs, painter Sergejs Vinogradovs, artist K.
Together with Vagaņka and Novodevičja cemeteries, Pokrov Cemetery was among Russian Empire's largest five cemeteries.
In 1858 Latvian congregation was established in the church.
The current church was built in 1879 designed by architect R. Pokrov Cemetery became Riga's Russian community's main cemetery.
In 1773 a wooden Proclamation Chapel was built, and in 1777 under Pskov's archbishop's order Pokrov church was built, which burnt down in 1875.
On April 29, 1845 the first sermon in Latvian was held by priest Jēkabs Mihailovs, former domain factor of Piebalga's count Šeremetjevs.
A number of notable citizens of Riga are buried here, such as, archbishop of Riga Jānis Pommers, metropolitan of Vilnius and Lithuania Sergejs (Voskresenskis), poet O.